Here are some of the key changes for Arras Theme 1.4, where the first beta will be available sometime this week.
- Full support for WordPress 2.9 post thumbnail system
(timThumb system will still be available for backward compatibility)
- Thumbnail sizes for featured posts and news posts can now be adjusted in theme options.
- Date and comment count on post thumbnails can now be turned off in theme options.
- Sidebar widgets code have been rewritten using WordPress 2.8’s widgets API, allowing you to use the widgets more than once.
- Multi-tabbed sidebar has been redesigned.
- Multi-tabbed sidebar can now be shown on home page only, as an option.
- Latest previews and reviews widget has been replaced by a new widget called ‘Featured Stories’.
- Featured stories can be shown on posts only, as an option.
- Widgets will display post thumbnails on respective links (WordPress 2.9 only).
- A link to your site’s Twitter feed can be displayed beside the link to your RSS feed in your navigation bar. (Username can be adjusted in theme options).
- One column layout is now available in the theme options.
- Various visual tweaks have been made to the default style.
- Template for Yet Another Related Posts Plugin available by default.
- Built-in support for Cufón, along with a default font BPreplay
- Certain options in Navigation tab in the theme options will not display if Multi-Level Navigation Plugin is installed.
- Removed image background options (a new system will be developed in the future).
- Removed post links in single post template in favour of numerous plugins.
- Removed compatibility functions for WordPress 2.7 and below. The theme now requires WordPress 2.8 and above to run.
- Removed support for phpThumb in favour of the new WordPress 2.9 post thumbnail system.
- Most of the options in Categories tab in theme options have been moved to the Layout tab.
- Usage page has been removed in favour of WordPress 2.9 post thumbnail system.